Monday 23 August 2010

Monkey Business

A few months ago, Savvy slipped and bumped her tailbone. She was asking what the sore bone was called and I explained the name. She asked about its meaning and, without thinking, I told her it was the remnant of a lost tail.

I wasn't planning on an evolution chat, but that's where we were headed. I'm pretty confident the concept was well out of her grasp. The timeline involved was about 30m+ years too large for her comfort zone. She's still stuck in the mode of: "now", sometimes: "today", and more rarely: "tomorrow".

Since our chat, she randomly brings up the monkey business every week or so with a wide range of reactions:

Confused: When did we take our tails off?
On board: Is that why I like bananas?
Sad: I don't want to be a monkey. I don't want a tail! (sob)
Disappointed: Was I just a monkey? Why wasn't I a PigMonkey?
Vigilant/dubious: If I was a monkey, why are there no pictures of my tail?

And my favourite, let's call it "Out of touch": (doing circles of herself like a puppy, trying to find her own tail).


No comments: