Saturday 18 July 2009

Megavalanche

Megavalanche was named after the world famous MegaDumyat. A mass start downhill bike race from the top of Pic Blanc (3330m) above the ski town of Alpe d'Huez down to our tent (almost) in Allemont (730m). I arrived a few days early to train on the course with Iain (poor Tomas who was due to join us broke his ankle a week before he was due to come out).

MegaDob and MegaMacKenna above Alpe d'Huez.














The qualifier was a shorter race to decide where you would start in the main event. I was in the first round so had to be on top of the mountain for 9am which meant a 6am start. Getting 100s of riders to the top of a mountain can take some time, so you have to make sure you get up there. Both Iain and I were happy with our qualifying runs until that evening when I noticed something odd about my forks. :-(

No time to fix or replace so I had to sit out the actual race and cheer on the others. However I did get to meet the world famous MegaCow, my first experience of the Mega. I've been a fan ever since and it was an honour to meet him in person.


Oops, fell off a challet.

















Ever since the Scottish government made nutella an illegal substance, going on holiday to the continent is a whole different experience.













Here's the feature film.



Probably the best week of mountain biking I've ever had.

1 comment:

nattysupper said...

Nice, and some proper Euro-Ski town techno to go with...
What were all those chumps doing on the side?
I'm familiar with watching a race with a broken bike - it's rubbish.
Do you think you'll win it next year? Probably