Tuesday 9 June 2009

The Swing

How do you like to go up in a swing, up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing ever a child can do!
Up in the air and over the wall, till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all over the countryside---
Till I look down on the garden green, down on the roof so brown---
Up in the air I go flying again, up in the air and down!

I was at the park yesterday with Savvy (who is now, you can see, on the big swings) and the mom beside me was pushing her wee boy (2, maybe 3) who asked: "swing poem mommy". The mom then recited the above poem by Robert Louis Stevenson with ease and the boy joined in at the end.

I knew that Stevenson had been inspired to write Treasure Island while in the Bridge, but didn't know he also visited for over 20 summers, writing one of his poetry books while enjoying the Bridge's lovely views and walks.

Anyway, the mom/boy combo was most extraordinary....I think her boy may soon be in the advanced english class and Sav will be asked to stick to PE.

No comments: